Saturday, April 14, 2012

Workbench

If you see the before picture of my workshop, you will understand that this is a vast improvement over what was there before.


However, having read about other workbenches, I see a lot of changes I would make/will make in future workbenches.


So, it’s not fancy, and definitely not pretty, but serviceable, and, quite frankly, too darn heavy to move out now.


The legs are 4×4 posts, most of the rest of the framing is 2×4s (cleaning up the edges of the 2×4s is one of the things I’d do differently).


The top has a sub-base of 2×6s, with 3/4 inch plywood over that.


It’s pretty much all bolted together with lag screws.


The bench vise is from Rockler. Pretty happy with it so far.

What would I do differently? make it a little bit shorterclean up the edges of the framing for better fitbury the vise in the tabletopmake sure the dog hole next to the vise isn’t right over the vise screw (can’t believe I missed that one!)chamfer the edges of the top before installing the vise

But, overall, I’m OK with it – it’s early days yet; and, again, all made with just a jigsaw, circular saw, cordless drill and hand tools.


Finally – some constructive criticism would be most welcome – it will help me on the next one to not be this guy:


(To self): “Well, there it is. Looks pretty darn good!”
examines it a little more closely
“Man, why did I do that! That was dumb! Well, to much trouble to fix now”

-- Chris, Minneapolis


More woodworking tips & plans here

No comments:

Post a Comment