Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Milwaukee 6955-20 Miter Saw

Milwaukee 6955-20 Miter Saw, Member Woodchi

Some folks will complain if they have to drive to the lottery office to pick up their million dollar winning check. I'm a professional, usually doing finish/trim work. I take great pride in my work and demand the best I can get out of my tools. I've used the Milwaukee 6955-20 for a couple of years. This is currently my preferred miter saw. I have used the comparable miter saws from Dewalt and Makita. The Makita's not a bad saw and should suit most folks well. I hate to say this about Dewalt's saw, as I have some older model 18v drills that are outstanding and the Dewalt equipment I've used in the past have been generally well built and of excellent quality, but the Dewalt miter saw is really a piece of junk. I know this is the opinion of every wood worker I know who has bought that saw. On to the Milwaukee: Maybe the previous rater got a lemon, or is just a crotchety kind of guy. Donno, but I haven't had any of the problems he's had. Now, to be fair, I did need to do some calibration of the saw (minor adjustments) right out of the box and I mean minor. If I were doing rough carpentry, this would have been unnecessary as I'm talking 1-2 degrees. I've been in this business over 30 years and my eyes aren't that great anymore (please don't tell the DMV, just kiddin'), but the lights work well for me and I prefer them over the laser. (Side note: if you like laser assist, the Makita can't be beat.) Hold down clamp, smold down clap--maybe I'm just too old school and not as safety conscience as I should be, but I've never used one, haven't had any cutting issues and I still have all my fingers. Would it be nice, yes, but not the top of my priority list. The dust collector works better that any miter saw I've used (although I'd like to see Milwaukee include an adapter for use with common dust removal systems, like a shop vac!). It does perturb me that the right fence can't be removed and don't understand why Milwaukee did that, but again, not a deal breaker. All in all, given the few minor things I've mentioned, this is the most accurate sliding dual bevel compound miter saw to date. In my opinion it is the best saw on the market and I know others that have this saw love it and wouldn't trade it for anything, including the Festool K costing about 2 grand. Good wood working--and keep yer fingers where you can see 'em!


More on woodworking tips & Plans, visit here

1 comment: