Friday, April 6, 2012

Flat-screen TV Stand in a Weekend

My wife and I recently moved after 22 years to a smaller (read that: "downsized") home of a very different style than our old Victorian. I'd call our new place International Style, Modern or just Contemporary. Such a change prompts a raft of considerations when it comes to furnishings. My list of things to build is growing, but last weekend I managed to check one off the list– a TV stand for our flat-screen.


I'd have to call this project serendipity. It just sort of came together by a series of circumstances. A couple weeks ago I received a press release from Rockler promoting some new accessories called I-Semble for easy shelf building. They looked nice, but were they sturdy? Since I needed a set of casters for the stand, I checked them out at Rockler's store and found they were sturdy.


At my shop, I went digging through my materials to see what I might find for the lower and upper shelves. There it was – perfect! I had made up several veneered panels for my Woodworking in America presentation on veneering last fall. This one used figured white oak that I made with a butt match. The last bit of serendipity was the white oak edge banding. I had several bundles sitting around from a project going back a few years. It was a bit over 1/4" thick and just needed to be ripped to width and cut to length. A day in the shop and it was done.


Well, almost done. The veneer panel was already finished. You might notice in the photo that the edge-banding still needs a clear finish to match. I'll get on that.


Over the past few years I've been making more contemporary-style furniture and I often use steel for various structural and decorative elements. These shelf accessories from Rockler are steel and powder-coated black so they complement some of my other custom-made pieces in the room. After being so consumed with packing and moving, getting back in the shop and knocking something out was quite satisfying.


More on woodworking tips & Plans, visit here

No comments:

Post a Comment