Thursday, April 12, 2012

Walnut and curly maple box

The second of two walnut boxes that were made at the same time. Walnut box, book-matched curly maple for lid panel. Curly maple also for lid lift. Maple splines. The lid has a 1/4 round-over.


I made a trip to Lee Valley and picked up Brusso hinges, very worth it. Cut hinge mortises with router and jig I made, and used a temple guide on the router for the first time. They were very cheap and off center and almost messed up the alignment of the lid and box.


I finished the box with Watco danish oil and Minwax paste wax. After a couple of soakings I wet sanded with 400, 600, and 1500 grit. Compared to my previous walnut box, much more of the pores were filled during wet sanding and very few spots show white where wax was applied.


More woodworking tips & plans here

No comments:

Post a Comment