Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The life and times of a Fine Woodworking photo prop

Three board cabinet. The case parts and door frame came from one board. The door panel from a second and the drawer fronts from a third. - CLICK TO ENLARGE

Three board cabinet. The case parts and door frame came from one board. The door panel from a second and the drawer fronts from a third.

Photo: Matt Kenney

There is no doubt that the primary responsibility of my job here at Fine Woodworking is editing, and the majority of my time is taken up by all that it entails (I won't bore you with the details). However, I do get to do some woodworking as part of my job. Sometimes I write articles and sometimes I end up making props for photos. This cherry cabinet is an example of that. I made it to serve as a prop for an article written by Doug Stowe. Typically, we travel to the author's shop for the photographs, but for that article I didn't. Art Editor Kelly Dunton and I did the photos in the FWW shop. After that it sat around my office for quite a while. I really didn't need it at home. And, more importanly, it could be used again for other articles. For example, the drawers showed up in a Q&A for FWW #222. And I have afeeling that it's been used by others for even more articles (I just can't remember what right now.). At any rate, I got tired of seeing it in my office, so I finished it (using Mike Pekovich's finish, which is very nice), turned some pulls, and now I'm going to hang it in the dining room at home.


PS: When it comes to padding on shellac, don't follow the photos that were used for that Q&A. Instead, check out what Peter Gedrys does (he's the man when it comes to finishing).

posted in: blogs, Cherry cabinet

FineWoodworking.com editors report from the woodworking front lines. Check in every weekday for news, information, projects, and answers to questions from Fine Woodworking readers everywhere.


Learn about our new format!


Archive: Temporarily unavailable. Stay tuned and sorry for the inconvenience.


www.besthomewoodworkingplans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment