Monday, January 23, 2012

Double Bevel frustrations

These are test pieces to try and hone the double bevel technique.


I have a plywood birdsmouth set at an 8 degree angle and I cut out the design with a .016” blade in a fretsaw.


For some reason I can’t seem to dial it in. The maple inset in walnut is too loose and visa versa. The instructions I have are to shim one way or the other but that seems like it would only go to one extreme or the other and I want to be able to use both pieces.


Is this problem caused by the thickness of my pieces? (about 1/8”) I should probably build a birdsmouth that can be adjusted to any angle…then again I may as well give up double bevel and use the boulle technique with Shipwrights chevalet!

-- If you can dream it, I can do it!


www.besthomewoodworkingplans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment