Monday, January 23, 2012

Live edge locust bench/coffee table

This started as a 40 inch tall section of a locust tree, felled by the city because it was diseased. It took my 2 sons and I about 20 minutes to move and load the section of the trunk into the van. I never imagined how heavy it could be. Turns out that locust is one of the densest woods. I sliced the section lengthwise and let it air dry for about 3 years in the garage working it occasionally with a hand planer. It was a great learning experience in terms of using a hand planer. I see how one can become addicted to it once you get it. It was not until this fall that I finally thought of what I would do with it. There were a number of large gaps from rotted wood that had to be removed. I filled those with epoxy. Interestingly, the epoxy turned yellow in one of the gaps. On the whole the wood has the most amazing and beautiful configurations. I added a couple pictures to show the grain. The finish is danish oil and polyurethane. The piece would work equally well as a bench or coffee table. It stands 15 inches high, 37 inches wide and 21 inches deep.


www.besthomewoodworkingplans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment