Saturday, January 21, 2012

Clockwork end-grain cutting board

This was the second end-grain board that I have made. Like my first this was also given as a gift this Christmas.


The woods used were maple, cherry, beech, purpleheart and anigre (Bolivian? walnut). The board is 11” x 15” x 0.9” with a 3/8” roundover on the edges. The finish is mineral oil. Flattening was done by router on my router planing jig (shown with my previous board in it).






Surfacing was done via belt sander followed by final smoothing with card scrapers.


I was hoping for more contrast between the beech and the cherry, although there is more contrast between those two on this board than on my previous end-grain board. I was also hoping for more distinction between the purpleheart and the anigre, but they blended together.


I used the cutting board design freeware again and you can see the board that I was attempting to make in the 6th pic. The fifth pic is the dry fit before glue-up to show the changes in the wood once the oil soaks in. The 3rd and the 4th pics are to show how much of a difference the lighting can make in the appearance of the board (the 4th pic was without flash and some retouching via photo editing software).


The board design makes me think of the gears on a clock or in an engine, the way that the beech strips are almost meshing with each other – hence the title.


As always, I am more than happy to listen to comments and critiques.

-- A bad craftsmen blames his cheap #$%ing tools


www.besthomewoodworkingplans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment