Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Set-up for Cornice Cove Cut on Table Saw

 - CLICK TO ENLARGE

Occasionally, I'm faced with creating a cove cut on a Cornice Molding. Sometimes, I will use a table saw to cut out the cove shape and waste. Although there are formula for determining the fence angle, I prefer a table saw set up based on modeling in SketchUp.


The first step is to model-up your table saw. This can be a very simple model including only the table top and the saw blade. I make the model dimensionally equivalent and locate the blade with respect to the table top. This allows me to use dimensions, rather than angle only to locate the fence. Here is a photo of my simple model.



I'll show you how I determine the table saw set up in the following six-minute video. As an example, I'll use the Cornice Molding for this Colonial Cupboard.



Here is a photo of the Cornice blank against the fence that is located by dimensions off the table top edge.



With settings of Parallel Projection, X-ray, and Front View, here is a view showing how the blade matches up with the cove shape. Note how the cornice blank is up against the fence to the right.



The actual cuts on the table saw are done with multiple passes at incremental adjustments in blade height.




More on woodworking tips & Plans, visit here

No comments:

Post a Comment