Monday, March 12, 2012

The Creche (Manger)


 


 


 


 


Wow, I made it with time to spare! It’s due by the first Sunday of Advent. I’ve been blogging my way here, but for a quick history. I agreed to rebuild the Creche for my local parish and was given free reign to do as I thought best. Not wanting to throw away an old tradition, I decided to recreate the old creche with new base and framing while utilizing the old materials in the roof and walls (1/4” sawn cedar shakes). The overall dimensions are 42” wide, 24” deep, and 29”+ high. Using some clear O.G. heart Redwood left over from an earlier project, I constructed the internal frame using half and full lap joinery. For the flooring, I ripped up some leftover 3/8” MDF trim, beveled the top edges, and stapled them into the rabbet around the inside of the base. From the old flooring, roofing, & walls, I was able to salvage enough material to use for the back/front wall and the roofing. I will leave it outside for the summer/fall in hopes that it will “weather” some and hopefully no-one will notice that it has been rebuilt. I am still working on some interior lighting system, but it will be hidden behind the front rafters.


Thanks all for looking on, and thank you Roger for your interest.

-- Greg, No. Cal.


More woodworking tips & plans here

No comments:

Post a Comment